July 30, 2019 By Dr Ramya Gowda
How to increase sperm count and motility?
Infertility is a major growing issue these days. This might owe to the lifestyle changes people have taken to, now more than before, including smoking, drinking, consuming drugs and much more. Pollution in the environment and individual stress is yet another reason behind couples being unable to conceive.
In this article, we shall shed some light upon the topic of male infertility, which till a few years ago was a huge tabu. People are opening up to the thought that both female and male infertility exist side by side, and both are intrinsic factors behind lack of conception.
Let’s set aside inhibitions and talk about male infertility for a bit
Male infertility occurs when the sperm have a less count or are abnormal in a specific medical sense due to which they don’t reach the eggs, and thus the process of fertility remains incomplete.
A few facts on fertility:
- Sexual drive technically known as libido is a person’s intensity and willingness to indulge in sexual intercourse
- You’ve probably heard of aphrodisiacs, these are foods and supplements which help increase a person’s sexual drive or sex drive as is commonly known
- Impotence or erectile dysfunction occurs when a male’s reproductive organs deny him an erection
- Sperm count is a very crucial aspect of semen quality
- Sperm count is the congregation of sperm cells each millilitre of semen.
- Another critical factor affecting male fertility is sperm motility which is the sperm’s ability to reach the eggs as fast as possible
- Sperm motility can be analysed by a percentage of motile sperm cells in a sample of semen
- Levels of testosterone in men also determine the intensity of fertility in a few men
- Many a time infertility can occur due to genetic causes
A few tips to increase sperm count
- Regular exercise is known to boost testosterone levels in men and improve their fertility.
- Infertility in men might be due to oxidative stress, hence, taking antioxidant supplements, such as vitamin C, can help with fertility
- Stress management and relaxation is a must as stress is known to reduce sexual satisfaction
- Consuming vitamin D supplements may boost testosterone levels in males with vitamin D-deficiency who have a low testosterone level
- A study found that Tribulus Terrestris, a natural herb, can enhance male sexual drive and erectile function although the evidence isn’t too strong and should be consumed only after consulting with one’s fertility specialist doctor
- There has been a study showing some positive results which suggest that consumption of fenugreek seeds/extracts help in improving sexual performance and drive
- Zinc supplements might help increase testosterone levels in men and improve fertility
- Ashwagandha, a medicinal herb is also suggested to help increase testosterone levels in men and enhance male fertility
- Avoid leading an unhealthy lifestyle where unhealthy practices impair the overall health, including fertility both in men and women
- Obesity has for long been associated with infertility, an obese person has a low sexual drive and is buried under a range of harmful lifestyle diseases erupting due to that
- For a better & healthy lifestyle avoiding alcohol consumption is crucial, alcohol consumption leads to lowered levels of testosterone, this also negatively affects semen quality
- Another study suggests that low use of folate might reduce semen quality
- Getting proper sleep is highly essential for both men & women to maintain their health
- Restricted or extreme sleep is known to affect the semen quality
- Consuming antioxidant-rich foods like walnuts show positive results infertility-related issues
- A study suggested that coenzyme Q10 improves semen quality; however, it should be consumed after a certified nutritionist or doctor recommends it
Infertility is a significant cause for much unhappiness around the globe in today’s time. Although the above tips are not full proved cures for infertility, they help the body gain better nutrients and immunisation, they even help men in increasing their testosterone, the male hormone, which helps them lead a healthy life with an increased chance of fertility.